Dr. Marji Prefontaine provides therapy and counseling for many different reasons here at the Relationship Center of Albuquerque including addictions. Someone can become addicted to nearly anything, though alcohol, drugs, smoking, shopping, sex, and gambling are the most common. An addiction is identified as having a compulsive need to have a certain thing or substance at all times, often affecting the person’s life as a result of the need for it.
The following criteria is used to determine whether or not a patient is struggling with an addiction:
1. Building a tolerance where the substance increases gradually over time.
2. Experiencing withdrawal symptoms without the addiction, including physical, emotional and psychological changes.
3. Feeling lack of control over the substance or situation.
4. Dealing with negative consequences as a result of the addiction, and continuing to use the substance.
5. Putting off social or other activities for the addiction.
6. Spending a good deal of time or energy on the addiction.
7. Having a desire to cut back but being unable to on their own.
If you are showing any of these signs of having an addiction, the sooner you get help, the better off you will be. Visit the Relationship Center of Albuquerque in Albuquerque, NM to learn more about addiction treatment options.